You may have heard me say, "I would be the first Black man elected statewide from Louisiana."
But this race is deeper than the color of my skin.
It’s about whether Louisiana will finally send someone to DC who will represent the people whose ancestors were forced to build Louisiana.
When I say that I would be the first Black man to represent Louisiana state-wide, what I really mean is I would be the first person to represent people whose ancestors were sharecroppers, like my grandparents.
It means I would be the first person to represent people whose ancestors were kidnapped and enslaved for centuries on this soil.
It means that I would be the first person to represent people who had to fight for their right to vote, sit at the same lunch counter, and go to the same schools.
Being the first elected Black man from Louisiana is about representing all of us who know that America still has a long way to go in the fight for justice and equality. |
Comments
Post a Comment